Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A post about the box

I've always had a problem with the box.  I haven't always been aware of my problems with the box but looking back I've always struggled with the box.  I've struggled with the box in different context, the biggest place that I've struggled with the box, though, has been in the church.

The box of church, in my opinion, often keeps God from people.  The box of church has said "this is what faith looks like, imitations and fakes will not be tolerated".  The box of church has told people God only reacts one way and you must jump through these hoops to get to God.  The box of church has limited what God can and will do.

The more and more I grow in my knowledge and faith, the harder it gets to be okay with the box the church has made for God.  For the more I grow in my faith, the more questions I have, the more acceptance I have, the more love I have.  Yet it seems if I love and accept and question more, then I no longer fit in the box of church.

And yet, everyday I see I am not the only one.  There are others out there that are struggling with the box.  Ones to whom God is real, immensely unfathomable and immensely powerful.  Ones who admit they struggle and yet aren't giving up on faith.  Ones who are vocal and not afraid to stand up and say "the God I serve does not live in a box".

I've always struggled with the box because the God I believe in, the God I serve does not live in a box.

No comments:

Post a Comment