Monday, July 9, 2012

A post about traveling

About a month and a half ago a friend of mine asked me to join her family for the baptism of her baby.  She made an offer I couldn't refuse and so the plans were made.  Last Tuesday morning I packed up the car and after work headed for the mountains of Lake Tahoe.  It was the first Fourth of July I had to spend in Tahoe in years and it was lovely.  A few hours with my Brother and his family and a few hours with my parents and fireworks.  All good.

The next day we headed over to the airport in Reno and I flew up to Seattle.  After a couple of hours waiting in Seattle, I headed over to the smaller airport to catch the next plane.  The smaller airport with the smaller plane.  The SMALLLEEERRRR plane.  9 seats for passengers.  I was worried that I might get airsick being in that small of a plane but as we took off, my worries about being sick disappeared and I looked out on the sights of Seattle.  We flew past the Space Needle and over the mountains and islands to Port Angeles.  I soon found myself in Sequim, Washington and another place that I could see myself living.

There are many places that I would like to have a place to land.  In Sequim or Port Angeles it would be somewhere with an ocean view, but maybe not up on the mountain...the noise from Hwy 101 was noticeable at night.  The weather was almost perfect.  74 degrees was the highest the temps got.  I can handle that.  The mountains are close by, there are lakes to go to and the beach.  Plus trees!  Lots and lots of trees!

In Tahoe it would be either on Fallen Leaf Lake (the far side) or somewhere on the Zephyr side of Tahoe, near the lake of course.

I loved Nashville but would want to be out in the country, away from the hustle of the big city.  The town of Franklin was cute and is home to many Country and Christian Music entertainers.  That could be a fun town to live in.  Mississippi would only be a possibility in the winter and then I would want a house right on the Gulf of Mexico...like one of those that Hurricane Katrina destroyed.  Washington DC would be amazing in the late fall or early spring.  Then I would want an apartment close to the Smithsonian. 

Nevada, Utah, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas and Florida are not options.  Neither is Arizona and that has a lot to do with the politics of Arizona.  I haven't spent much time, at all, in the upper East Coast but I have a feeling some of those beach towns would make the list of places I wouldn't mind landing.

Of course, there is no place like home.  After a almost a week of traveling, it was good to come home, sleep in my own bed and use my own shower.  This short trip helped ease the traveling itch in my soul for the moment...but not for long!  Trip number two soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment