Thursday, June 21, 2012

A post about breathing

There are things that I tend to keep hidden, not wanting to worry others or just not wanting the attention these things might bring.

For a few months I've been having some breathing issues.  It started in earnest in February.   Every night I would go to sleep and wake myself up in the middle of the night because I was wheezing.  Some nights were really bad, other nights just mildly annoying.  I started hearing a rattling in my chest about a month ago and then I went for a walk with a friend on the beach and literally thought my lungs were going to close in on me.  I know I'm out of shape, but that was ridiculous.

Yesterday I went in to see the Doctor.  She is awesome, AWESOME, and within 10 minutes I was out the door with a sample of an daily inhaler because, gee, I just might have asthma.  Maybe allergic asthma, that hasn't been completely decided yet.  She called in a prescription for a rescue inhaler and for a nasal allergy spray as well.  YES!

Last night I took my first dose of the daily inhaler.  I went to bed and woke up this morning about 6:15am...and realized I hadn't wheezed the ENTIRE NIGHT!  Praise Jesus!  This morning I'm realizing that the rattle is gone as well.  I'm going to wait a few days before I go down to the gym in my office building and test out my lungs there...but I know have a rescue inhaler so even then, it's not as dicey as before!

I still don't want people to worry.  I still want to keep things hidden, but I'm so grateful to be able to breathe again I just have to say in this public forum, I love my Doctor!


Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you have to tell someone when something is hurting you so that someone can support you and help you help yourself. I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete