Thursday, June 14, 2012

A post about weddings

This weekend I get to officiate a wedding.  This is the third wedding I have been privileged to be a part of...wedding number 4 is in October.

One of the main reasons I have ever considered getting ordained has been to be able to officiate at weddings and memorial services.  Celebrating life events with people I love and care of is important to me, always has been.  The first wedding I officiated, we went through the County Clerk's office and I was deputized for the day.  Then my Cousin V asked if I would officiate at her wedding and I decided to join the millions of people already ordained by the Universal Life Church.

At Cousin V's wedding Cousin A asked "would you officiate at my wedding".  I said yes, thinking that day was a long way off.  In April he and Cousin to-be C made it official...their wedding is Saturday.

I am so privileged to be a part of these days, to share my single-girls view of marriage and the commitment being made with people I love, to stand as they share in vows to honor and cherish and love one another for life.  It is such an amazing moment...but at the same time I am so aware that it is not a moment that can be fully shared by everyone.

As I stand on Saturday and shower words of blessing on my Cousin and Cousin to-be, there will be a moment when a sentence pops up, something like "our life partners", because I don't believe that marriage is just between a man and a woman.  I believe that ALL people should have the right to marry the person love heart and soul, forever.  I DON'T believe it makes a mockery of marriage for same-sex partners to marry, I think hetrosexual couples make a mockery of that all by themselves.  If my friends, M & L, were to get married again and asked me to be the officiant, I would jump in with both feet, privileged to share in their commitment to each other...just as I was privileged to stand up at their wedding and be a reader and the ring bearer.  :)

I'm looking forward to Saturday...just like I'm looking forward to October and the next wedding...life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Bawling my sissy litte eyes out. I love you. More on the bawling soon in a new blog post. XOXOX.

    ReplyDelete