Monday, June 11, 2012

A Post About My Parents

My Mom tried to chop her finger off last week.  I got a hasty text message from my Dad saying "at the hospital" and then waited to hear more.  Later I got "in getting x-rays" then, "setting and sewing.  I left the room, too chicken".  When I asked how he was doing, my Dad's response was "it's definitely harder to watch mom get hurt than to be hurt myself."  My Dad loves my Mom.

I'm extremely grateful, in a world where people are denied the right to marry because of their sexual orientation and when marriage is being taken for granted and abused by many with the right to marry, that my parents not only love each other but take their commitment to each other seriously.  I'm grateful they not only love each other but love each other so strongly, they can't stand to see the other in pain.

While the tip of my Mom's index finger was reattached and the healing has begun, my Dad is still watching out for her, whether she knows it or not.  Because he loves her, for better or worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, til death do they part.  I'm holding them to that last part.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment