Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A post about weight

I'm tired.  I'm damn tired.  I'm tired of hearing people who have never, ever had a significant weight problem in their whole entire life talk about weight issues.  I'm admittedly biased on this subject and have a really hard time seeing the whole thing clearly.  That said, I don't want to sit through another evening where people who haven't really ever struggled with weight issues discuss how simple it is to lose weight.  Hello, can you even flippin' see me sitting here?!  Seriously, do you see how I SHUT DOWN every time this freakin subject comes up?!  No, obviously you can't.

I am living the obesity "problem".  I walk around everyday with too many pounds on my body.  I have been on the weight loss programs.  I know how they work.  I know what I should and shouldn't eat.  I have done the Jazzercise, the walking, the gym.  I KNOW how to take weight off.  I can do it.  Time and time again I've found that simple answer is not so simple.  Beneath the layers of fat, there are layers of issues.  Beneath the knowledge of how to take the weight off are the years of words and thoughts that have helped the weight pile on.  I wish, oh how I wish, it was just a food problem.  It's not.

For me, the weight isn't just about the food.  There is something deeper happening, something that I'm not even fully aware of keeping me from successfully losing weight.  It's a psychological problem, not just a food problem.  It's a security thing, an insecurity thing and so much more all wrapped up into one bundle of something I can't even fully explain.  I wish it was just about food.  It's not.

So you all just go ahead, you keep talking about how this country has an obesity problem and how we all need to cut back on fat and carbs and sugar and sodas and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  Please tell us all how we should just eat less and work out more.  I'll kindly get up and leave the conversation because you obviously don't see me sitting there anyway.  How about we talk about the respect problem there is in the world...yeah, let's go there next because clearly, y'all are respectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment